Remix OS is based on the Android-x86 project. However, Remix OS makes the installation so simple compared to how I install Android-x86 in USB flash drive in few years ago. Remix OS for PC is currently in Alpha version still the OS looks solid and very promising. As long as you have 64-bit CPU and supports USB 3.0 flash drive (writing speed of 20MB/s), it will run smoothly on your PC.
Here's the steps how to install Remix OS:
- Download Remix OS for PC here and extract the file.
- Insert a USB flash drive to your PC.
- Open Remix OS USB Tool and click Browse button to choose the Remix OS's .iso file.
- Make sure USB Disk has targeted the correct USB flash drive. Click OK to start the installation.
- After the installation has completed, click Reboot Now.
- Press F12 during the booting process (power-on startup).
- Select your USB flash drive to boot Remix OS.
- Choose Guest Mode or Resident Mode to start Remix OS. (Guest Mode doesn't save your data for next boot up; Resident Mode will save your data)
- Choose Remix OS language.
- Click Agree.
- Connect to Wifi.
Overall, I like the clean design of the Remix OS. The Remix OS user interface is less likely an Android smartphone, instead it is more on a true Android PC and that is whole point why Android-x86 project exists.
Anyone who doesn't have PC supports USB 3.0 flash drive like me, you may still try out the Remix OS with USB 2.0 flash drive. Remix OS will still run smoothly in Guest Mode in USB 2.0 flash drive. The OS only become sluggish in Resident Mode because of slow USB writing speed. Patient is needed during the one-time installation in Resident Mode especially when in the middle of installation message showing "Initialize Data Partition, please be patient...".
Now some screenshots of the Remix OS 2.0.