According to Distrowatch, Linux Mint is the most popular hits in their site since 2011 overtaken Ubuntu. Linux Mint Debian is available with MATE/Cinnamon and Xfce desktop environments. I don't recommend MATE or Cinnamon if you want to install on slow computer because it was slow on my netbook. Xfce just like the GNOME 2 panel, is prefect and much lightweight to run for slower machines.
I will guide you through the LMDE 201204 Xfce installation and some fixes for hardware supports. I won't bore you with trivial details, just the important stuff and most of the fixes are broadly applicable, although it is based on HP mini 210.
Installing Mint Debian 201204:
- Download Linux Mint Debian 201204 Xfce iso.
- Create a bootable USB flash drive with UNetbootin by following the instructions here.
- Boot Mint. Plug your ethernet if you get missing wireless driver and proceed to installation.
- Suggestion for 250GB disk partitioning: - Create an ext4 20GB for /
- Create an extended for rest of the space,
- Keep 2GB and create an ext4 /home for whole disk space
- Create a swap 2GB
- For BCM4312 with Low-Power, open Software Manager and install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer package.
- You will notice "tap to click" doesn't work. To fix this, launch Terminal and type:
sudo gedit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
Replace the content of the file with this:
Identifier "touchpad catchall"
Option "TapButton1" "1"
Option "VertEdgeScroll" "1"
Restart the computer and the "tap to click" will works.
- If you want to enable "right click" on touchpad, simply enter the following command in Terminal:
echo "options psmouse proto=exps" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.conf
Fix annoying loud "Beep" from motherboard speaker when booting and shutdown:
- Open Mixer - HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)
- Click Select Controls... and check Beep
- Lower or mute the Beep volume
Display screen brightness issue:
- As you're aware, the display brightness will reset to the lowest level on every Mint startup. It can be fixed by the same way how I fix on Ubuntu 12.04 on this page.
- Install Cheese to use the webcam.
- Install ibus and particular ibus language input method.
- To make Docky work properly on Xfce,
- Click Menu > Settings > Windows Manager Tweaks
- Click Compositor tab and Check enable display compositing
Enhance user interface animations:
- Install compiz, plugins, extra plugins, and compizconfig settings manager via Software Manager.