There is a Buildroid "for testing purpose only" VM image available for download which includes Market/Play app and other Google apps. Reading the description it is for testing purpose only, I'm not sure how stable it is. If you use the normal Buildroid VM image, here's how to install Market/Play app to Android Virtual Machine.
- Assume you have already setup your Android Virtual Machine. Guide to setup Android in VirtualBox.
- You can get the adb (Android Debug Bridge) utility here.
- Download Google apps here.
- Open VirtualBox.
- Go to Buildroid VM's Settings > Network.
- Under Adapter 1 tab, choose Attached to: NAT.
- Expand Advanced and click Port Forwarding button.
- Click Insert new rule button, input 5555 into Host Port and Guest Port. Click OKs to return to VirtualBox. If you have multiple virtual machines and want to connect to each of them, you could increment the host port for each of the forwarding rules while keeping the same guest port for each device (eg. host port 5556, guest port 5555 on a second virtual machine).
- Now Start Auildroid VM.
- Open Buildroid VM Configuration, you should see the IP address under IP management to confirm it is working. If there is no IP address showing, adb will not be able to connect your Auildroid VM.
- Find the folder where the adb.exe is located. For example: c:\android-sdk-windows/platform-tools
- Press and hold Shift key + right click on the folder which contains adb.exe. Click Open command window here.
- Enter: adb connect localhost
- Copy the .tgz Google apps file to Android with this command:
- Execute the following commands:
- adb shell
- mount -o remount,rw /system
- tar -xvzf /sdcard/buildroid-gapps-ics-20120317-signed.tgz
- mount -o remount,ro /system
- Your Android VM will reboot automatically and new Google apps including Play Store app are installed.
adb push buildroid-gapps-ics-20120317-signed.tgz /sdcard/Note: you must specify the directory location of your tgz file. For example, d:\downloads/buildroid-gapps-ics-20120317-signed.tgz as shown in the screenshot below: