Those who have tried to run Android-x86 on Virtualbox before probably know its Internet connection is not playing well together with Virtualbox. Here's a good news, Daniel Fages is building Android operating system which support to run in Virtualbox named 'Buildroid for VirtualBox'. After trying it, this is the best Android virtual machine I have tried so far. Everything is working, including Internet.
Before setting up Android in Virtualbox, things you need to prepare are:
- Choose an Android 4.0.3_r1 (20120518 build)
- Without Google apps and Play (Read more to install Google Play and apps)
- vbox86p : Built for a “phone”, 480×800 default resolution
- vbox86t : Built for a “tablet”, 1024×600 default resolution
- vbox86tp : Built for a “tablet” with phone capabilities, 1024×600 default resolution
- With Google apps and Play
- “Test VM” includes Google Apps (with ‘Play’) : buildroid_vbox86t_4.0.3_r1-20120518_gapps.ova ( “ for testing purpose only ” VirtualBox image)
Setup Buildroid in Virtualbox:
- Install and Open VirtualBox
- Click File, then Import Appliance...
- Click Choose... button and open the downloaded .ova Android VirtualBox image.
- Click Next button.
- Click Import button.
- Select Buildroid and click Start button.
- Done. Have fun with the Android operating system.
- Press right Ctrl to regain mouse control on computer.
- To unlock screen after being idle, press the ESC key and slide with mouse. Or, you can disable the screen lock (Settings > Developer options > enable Always stay awake).