Some people are complaining Nvidia Optimus have trouble identifying and switch to a suitable GPU. So far, this technology works pretty well for me. It just automatically switch on my Nvidia GPU when my laptop running Photoshop, Starcraft II, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, etc. without any manual configuration.
However, it doesn't automatically override PCSX2. The PlayStation 2 games are laggy sometimes running as low as 30 fps. You can tell which graphic chip your laptop is using by checking the Nvidia Optimus light indicator, blue is integrated graphic chip and white is Nvidia GPU.
To create an override for PCSX2 manually:
- Update your Nvidia Graphic Card with the latest driver version. Version 285.62 works fine for me, you shouldn't go wrong with it.
- After updated graphic driver, go to NVIDIA Control Panel, click Manage 3D settings, then click Program Settings tab.
- In Select a program to customize, add pcsx2.exe
- In Select the preferred graphics processor for this program, select High-performance NVIDIA processor.
- Click Apply to apply the settings.
- Enjoy playing PlayStation 2 games.